Cloze will create a contact profile for every person and company you know from the accounts you connect. When you get started we recommend organizing the people and companies you are currently working with using the options provided in the Relationship section.
Here is some background context on how to think through organizing your contacts in Cloze.
Please start with this short video
When you tap on a contact you’ll find a section within the profile called “Relationship”. Relationships can be organized by Stages, Segments, Next Steps and Custom Fields. On your phone, tap on About to see the Relationship section. On cloze.com look for it on the right side of the screen.
A “Stage" sets if the contact is… Lead, Potential, Active, Lost or Inactive.
As you make progress you will move from Lead to Potential to Active to Inactive. Stages work in tandem with Segments. Each Segment has five Stage options:
A "Segment" sets who the person is to you. For example, a Customer, a Partner, a Supplier, an Adviser, or any number of customizable segments.
- Customers - People you sell to or deliver services to
- Partners - People that help you sell, deliver services, or run your organization
- Suppliers - Companies that you buy from
- Investors - People that invest in you or your organization
- Advisers - People that advise, counsel or mentor you
- Competitors - People that you compete against
- Coworkers - People that work in your organization
- Custom - Custom type of relationship
- Family - Your family and relatives
- Friends - Your friends and acquaintances
- Connections - People in your network
- Personal Custom - Personal custom type of relationship
For example, your leads would be classified as the Stage "Leads" and Segment "Customers".
The Customers you are actively working with now would be classified as "Active Customers".
Learn More about Stages and Segments:
"Next Steps" are optional, but highly recommended as they help you stay on track and focus on what needs to be done next.
In settings you can add Next Steps to help you keep track of what you've done and what you have left to do for each type of relationship. Think of Next Steps as a repeatable check list that you can use for each combination of Stage and Segment. Each Next Step can also have a customized reminder and email template.
Here are step-by-step instruction to setup Next Steps.
Note: A Person can only be set to ONE Stage, Segment and Step (they can't be in multiple Segments at the same time - so not classified as a "Client" and a "Partner"). We recommend setting the primary business relationship. Please see Custom Fields below for setting sub-types.
Custom Fields are available in all Stages of a single Segment or can be limited to specific Stages or specific Segments. Examples include Type, Role, Department, Lead Source and any other you create. Cloze offers custom fields to help your further classify your People, Companies and Projects (or Deals). When enabled, Custom Fields appear below the Relationship section for People and Companies and below the Project (or Deal) Status section. You can also organize your Custom Fields into Custom Sections.
Custom Fields are also shared with your team members if you are using Cloze Business.
There are several different types of Custom Fields that you can use to tailor the profile for People, Companies, Projects and Deals.
- Text - Any type of text may be entered. A common example would be an account ID.
- Pick List (one) - Pick one field value from a list
- Pick List (many) - Pick multiple field values from a list
- Date - Set a date (no time)
- Round Number - Enter a number with no fraction (e.g. 1,000)
- Decimal Number - Enter a number with fraction (e.g. 1,000.25)
- Currency - Enter a currency value (e.g. $1,000)
Learn more about Custom Fields:
- Add a custom field to a contact
- Add a custom field to a Project or Deal
- Add a Section to group your Custom Fields
- Set a custom field to appear in a specific Segment
- Set a custom field to appear in a specific Stage
- Set the Segments in which pick list values will appear
- Add a Custom Field value to multiple contacts at once
- Add a Custom Field value to multiple Deals or Projects at once
- Add Custom Fields to contacts you import via CSV spreadsheet
Keywords are like tags and allow you to organize People, Companies, Projects and Deals. Keywords are helpful when you are trying to organize your contacts across many traits or characteristics and want to share this organization with your team on Cloze.
Learn more about Keywords:
- Create a keyword
- Add Keywords to multiple contacts at once
- Add Keywords to multiple Deals or Projects at once
- Search by contact keywords (enter #keywordname)
- Export my contacts and filter by keyword
Tip: Keywords and Custom Fields are highly recommended instead of using Lists because they are shared with your team and offer more flexibility. Custom Fields are also available in the Analytics feature (while Lists are not).
Lists are similar to Keywords and can cut across multiple Segments. For example if you have an attendee list from an Event or a Newsletter that goes to many different Segments it is common to use a Cloze list to organize the recipients. When you tap on the funnel icon at the top of your screen you'll also see any custom Lists available for narrowing your search results. Lists are private and not shareable with your team on Cloze.
- If you are using Cloze Business with your team note that Lists are private and not shareable with your team on Cloze. Please use Stages, Segments, Keywords and Custom Fields with your team.
- Lists are not designed to filter the Kanban view. If you wish to filter the Kanban view please use Keywords or Custom Fields.
Learn more about Lists:
- Create a custom list
- Add a person to a list
- Add multiple people to a List
- Remove a person from a custom list
- Delete a custom List