Cloze will create a contact profile for every person and company you know from the accounts you connect. When you get started we recommend organizing the people and companies you are currently working with using the options provided in the Relationship section.
Here is some background context on how to think through organizing your contacts in Cloze.
Please start with this short video
When you tap on a contact you’ll find a section within the profile called “Relationship”. Relationships can be organized by Stages, Segments, Next Steps and Custom Fields. On your phone, tap on About to see the Relationship section. On cloze.com look for it on the right side of the screen.
When to Use Stages and Segments
Stages and Segments are used to help you track your workflow with your customers and clients. Each Stage and Segment includes Next Steps so you can embed your process into Cloze.
Next Steps are an extension of the higher level Stages—they should mirror your workflow and all of the things you need to get done to move to the next Stage.
Think of Next Steps as repeatable check lists that you can write once and reuse. In sales you may refer to the combination of Stages and Next Steps as your "pipeline" or "sales funnel". In Projects you will track all of the Steps to "win" your engagement (move from Potential to Active) and then track all of your steps to deliver the project or service.
Or, for example, in real estate you might use steps to track all of the things you need to do to help a client buy a home or sell a home.
Each Next Step can have it own reminder and email template associated with it too.
When to Use Tags
Stages, Segment and Next Steps are a great way to track your process. You can easily embed your workflow so you know exactly where a person is on their journey to becoming your client.
Because Stages and Next Steps will change as you work with a client we also offer Tags. Tags help you organize contacts regardless of where they are on their client journey with you.
Tags are designed for organizing across Segments. For example you may want to track all of the people you met at a specific networking event. A Tag can be applied to find everyone regardless of whether they are a potential client, an existing client or a partner.
Or for example you may want to organize everyone you wish to send a holiday card. A Tag can be applied to you can quickly find and create your holiday card list.
A “Stage" sets if the contact is… Lead, Potential, Active, Lost or Inactive.
As you make progress you will move from Lead to Potential to Active to Inactive. Stages work in tandem with Segments. Each Segment has five Stage options:
A "Segment" sets who the person is to you. For example, a Customer, a Partner, a Supplier, an Adviser, or any number of customizable segments.
- Customers - People you sell to or deliver services to
- Buyer - People that are purchasing a property (found in our Real Estate setup)
- Seller - People that are selling their property (found in our Real Estate setup)
- Partners - People that help you sell, deliver services, or run your organization
- Suppliers - Companies that you buy from
- Investors - People that invest in you or your organization
- Advisers - People that advise, counsel or mentor you
- Competitors - People that you compete against
- Coworkers - People that work in your organization
- Business Custom - Custom type of relationship
- Family - Your family and relatives
- Friends - Your friends and acquaintances
- Connections - People in your network
- Personal Custom - Personal custom type of relationship
For example, your leads would be classified as the Stage "Leads" and Segment "Customers".
The Customers you are actively working with now would be classified as "Active Customers".
Learn More about Stages and Segments:
"Next Steps" are optional, but highly recommended as they help you stay on track and focus on what needs to be done next.
In settings you can add Next Steps to help you keep track of what you've done and what you have left to do for each type of relationship. Think of Next Steps as a repeatable check list that you can use for each combination of Stage and Segment. Each Next Step can also have a customized reminder and email template.
Here are step-by-step instruction to setup Next Steps.
Note: A Person can only be set to ONE Stage, Segment and Step (they can't be in multiple Segments at the same time - so not classified as a "Client" and a "Partner"). We recommend setting the primary business relationship. Please see Custom Fields below for setting sub-types.
Custom Fields are available in all Stages of a single Segment or can be limited to specific Stages or specific Segments. Examples include Type, Role, Department, Lead Source and any other you create. Cloze offers custom fields to help your further classify your People, Companies and Projects (or Deals). When enabled, Custom Fields appear below the Relationship section for People and Companies and below the Project (or Deal) Status section. You can also organize your Custom Fields into Custom Sections.
Custom Fields are also shared with your team members if you are using Cloze Business.
There are several different types of Custom Fields that you can use to tailor the profile for People, Companies, Projects and Deals.
- Text - Any type of text may be entered. A common example would be an account ID.
- Pick List (one) - Pick one field value from a list
- Pick List (many) - Pick multiple field values from a list
- Date - Set a date (no time)
- Round Number - Enter a number with no fraction (e.g. 1,000)
- Decimal Number - Enter a number with fraction (e.g. 1,000.25)
- Currency - Enter a currency value (e.g. $1,000)
Learn more about Custom Fields:
- Add a Custom Field to a contact
- Add a Custom Field to a Project or Deal
- Add a Section to group your Custom Fields
- Set a Custom Field to appear in a specific Segment
- Set a Custom Field to appear in a specific Stage
- Add a Reference Custom Field
- Set the Segments in which pick list values will appear
- Add a Custom Field value to multiple contacts at once
- Add a Custom Field value to multiple Deals or Projects at once
- Add Custom Fields to contacts you import via CSV spreadsheet
Tags (formerly known as keywords) are like labels that allow you to organize People, Companies, Projects and Deals. Tags are helpful when you are trying to organize your contacts across many traits or characteristics and want to share this organization with your team on Cloze.
Learn more about Tags:
- Create a Tag
- Add Tags to multiple contacts at once
- Add Tags to multiple Deals or Projects at once
- Search by contact Tags (enter #tagname)
- Import contacts and add Tags
- Export my contacts and filter by Tags